Jamborees are possible thanks to thousands of support staff who are scout leaders just like you. Staffers can have just as much fun as jamboree troop leaders and Scouts and Venturer participants. Some advantages of working staff include:
- You enjoy the same jamboree spirit over 30,000 Scouts, Venturers and leaders enjoy.
- Unlike jamboree troop leaders, once your shift is done, most of your work responsibilities are off duty as well.
If you are a parent of a scout or venturer attending, volunteering for staff is a way to share the experience yet still give your scout or venturer room to explore and make new friends during Scouting’s mountaintop experience.
2017 Staffers are promised the following improvements to your Jamboree work adventure.
- Transportation: Staff transportation will be enhanced. Assuming a reasonable level of fitness, no staff member will be required to walk longer than 30 minutes between their place of lodging and their assigned work station.
- Time off: Sufficient staff will be recruited and schedules developed to ensure staff members receive at least the equivalent of one full day off during the Jamboree. Staff work hours will allow them an opportunity to visit and enjoy other areas of the Jamboree outside their assigned work area. Provisions will be made for those desiring to explore the local area surrounding the Jamboree during their day off.
- Communications: A robust communications strategy will be developed and executed to keep staff members informed from the date they register as a staff member through the last day of the Jamboree.
- Lunch: We will make modifications to enhance the number and variety of lunch choices consistent with the requirement to maintain a “shelf stable” lunch menu given the demands of our site. We will provide supplemental items for our staff members in more active program areas to ensure an appropriate level of caloric content for their anticipated level of activity.
- Lodging: While capacity constraints of The Summit prevent the offering of 2-person tent accommodations, staff members will be provided the opportunity to pre-select their tent-mates up to one month prior to the Jamboree.
- Staff Village: The staff village(s) will be designed to provide for an area in which staff members can relax, recreate and refresh themselves in the company of other staff members. Retail food/beverage stands will be incorporated in this design as well as an area for athletic competition.
- Showers: We will explore options to create some increase in water temperature; however, any solution will have to be consistent with our sustainability focus of conserving water and energy.
- Laundry service: Laundry service will continue to be available for staff members desiring it.
- Staff photos: Official staff photos of individual teams will be taken and staff members will have the opportunity to purchase photos of their choosing.
9 points quoted from the Bryan on Scouting blog.
Jamboree staff positions are open to adult men and women who meet required qualifications.
In the past youth staff (ages 16 through 25) have the opportunity to serve in numerous job assignments at the jamboree.
Adult Staff Fee: $850 for full jamboree (session 1) July 15-29, 2015, $425 for Session 2 (July 15 – 22, 2017) or Session 3 (July 22-29, 2017).
Youth Staff Fee: To be announced (2013 youth staff fees were $425.00 for sessions 1, 2 or 3).
Jamboree Staff Qualifications
- Must have a current BSA membership.
- Completed Youth Protection Training within one year of the first day of the jamboree.
- Ability to arrive on site at the jamboree up to but not limited to one week before the jamboree as deemed necessary by the service director of the area selected to serve in to receive training and assist in the final preparations for troop arrivals.
- Be at least 16 years of age by the first day of the jamboree.
- Submit all registration fees per the published payment schedule.
- Complete any jamboree-specific training as deemed necessary by the service director of the area selected to serve in.
- File a Personal Health and Medical Record as instructed by the deadline.
- Be able to serve as a role model of physical fitness.
Staff applications are subject to council approval.
Find out more about how to become a Staff at the signup page. Take the interest survey to begin.
A 2013 Jamboree Staffer’s photo story – one of many council volunteers that served on staff in 2013.
For specific Staff questions/inquiries advice, contact Wade Shumway at wadeshumway